Here are a few things to help you with the preparation for exam day. While not strictly required, having the following items filled out and completed will save you time at the exam. Due to the stress on exam day you are less likely to make errors on them if you bring them with you.
Study, whether taking a class or studying the question pool.
Get your FRN (FCC Registration Number) at the FCC ULS website. If you do not already have one click register to get one. If you already have an amateur radio license you can find the FRN on your license or log in to the ULS site to get it. Important Note: If you already have an FRN you must use it or there will be delays in processing your paperwork.
Download the NCVEC Form 605. You can type your information into this PDF. Fill out the form, print it out and bring it with you. We strongly recommend using your FRN on this form for security reasons. We also recommend printing 2 and bring them with you.
Download the answer sheet. This PDF can be filled out online and printed. Please print as “actual size” for this to print in the proper size for testing. We recommend printing at least 2 copies. If you pass the exam you came for, you are eligible to take the next level exam that same day for no additional charge. If you fail the exam you came for by one or two questions, you may take another version of the exam for another $15 test fee.
Now that your preparation is complete, let’s get ready to take the exam.
Bring the following with you to the test session:
- $15 Exam fee.
- Proper identification, preferably a picture ID with your signature. (Normally applicants provide driver’s license or student ID).
- Your completed NCVEC Form 605 and Answer Sheet(s).
- If you presently have an Amateur Radio license, we will need to see the original. Plus we need a photocopy to send in with your exam results.
- If you have a CSCE or credit from a previous license, we must see the original. Plus we need a photocopy to send in with your exam results.
- If you are applying to have a long-expired license reinstated, we need proof of your old call sign and license class. We need a copy to send in with your application. For help in finding this proof, contact the exam team leader.
- Pen and pencil.
- You may bring a calculator as long as the memory can be flushed before you take the exam. Calculators within PDA’s, cell phones, and computers are not allowed.
For more information visit the ARRL website.